Are you trying to teach your child the Alphabet? There are excellent songs and videos on Youtube which can help, by reinforcing the message. Below are the songs and videos from Youtube that I used when I was teaching my toddler the alphabet. Each has its pros and cons, each has varying degrees of educational and entertainment value. But my son loved watching all of them. Sometimes we played them during the day, but mostly we played them at night as part of our going to bed ritual. Below are the best songs and videos for teaching the alphabet starting with the very best:
1. My favorite video is from “Super Simple Songs”. I like the animated movement of the letters and the way they go through the alphabet three different ways. Although, they use lower case (I believe upper case is best for teaching the alphabet) and the song goes through the letters l,m,n,o,p a little too quickly, this is still my favorite. But maybe I am biased because I am a huge fan of “Super Simple Songs”. If you do not know “Super Simple Songs”, you will find all of their videos to be excellent, educational and entertaining:
2. The Toonbo Song features mice jumping into and out of holes to tune of the alphabet song. It is cute, funny and this is the only song that my boy really remembers and still likes after all of these years. It is very fast, and perhaps too fast for a very young child. But the entertainment factor is very high. Your kid will almost certainly love it.
3. The Alphabet Train is a fun way to learn the alphabet with no song at all. Children are often attacked to the voices of other kids. And what kid doesn’t like trains? Plus it uses upper case letters and moves through the letters very slowly. Though it may not be as entertaining as listening to a song, it is educational and it does add variety:
4. I love this version of the Alphabet Song with India Aria and Elmo. India is not the best actress in the world. But the way India sings is simply lovely. This video also uses lower case letters. :
5. If you are tired of listening to the standard Alphabet song, “We Are The Alphabet” by KidsTV123 takes a different approach, by simply singing the letters with no real tune. And notice that L,M,N,O and P are not rushed the way they are in other songs. The video uses both upper and lower cases. I like the relaxed pace of the song, though it does not have the entertainment quality of other videos, I think that parents are more likely to notice this than kids:
6. I do not think that DidiPop’s Cool Alphabet Song is the best for teaching the alphabet. Parts of it are a bit fast for very young kids to understand. Frankly, I have a difficult time understanding all of the lyrics. But it is unique and the entertainment factor is high. What a fun alphabet song:
7. I love GiggleBellie’s upbeat approach. But it is a bit fast and it includes counting to 20. So, it might not be appropriate for all kids:
So, which of these 7 songs will you use to teach your toddler to read? I used them all, because variety makes the learning process more fun.
What is your favorite video to teach the alphabet?